First-Year English Courses
All students at Lehigh are required to take two courses of first-year English: ENGL 001: Critical Reading and Composition and ENGL 002: Research and Argument.
For students coming in with Transfer credit for ENGL 001 the appropriate next course is ENGL 002.
For students coming in with AP credit for ENGL 001 or who have placed out of ENGL 001 via their SAT or ACT scores, the appropriate next course is ENGL 011: Seminar in Critical Reading and Writing.
English for International Students
New international students will take an English placement test at International Orientation in August. Based on those placement test results as well as other English language documentation, the International Center for Academic and Professional English (ICAPE) will work with students to place them on one of three tracks:
1. ENGL 001 and 002 only
2. ENGL 001 and 002 with special recitation for international English speakers
3. ENGL 003: Composition and Literature I for International Writers and ENGL 005: Composition and Literature II for International Writers
English Composition Advanced Placement, ACT, SAT, and IB Policy
- a score of 4 or higher on either of the English AP exams,
- a score of 6 or higher on all three parts of the optional SAT essay exam,
- a score of 10 or higher on the ACT Optional Writing Test,
- a score of 5 or higher on the IB test.
- Students in the Eckardt Scholar Program are exempt from all CAS requirements, including FY Writing.
- Students in the IDEAS program fulfill the writing requirement by taking writing-intensive seminars in their program.
- Multi-lingual students are assessed for proficiency by the International Center for Academic and Professional English. Those who are deemed sufficiently proficient are placed in English 1 and 2; others are advised to take English 3 and 5.